Tick paralysis is a common cause of illness and hospitalisation for pets in the Upper North Shore and Northern Beaches in the warmer months. This is the only tick-borne illness which is not caused by an infectious organism. The neurotoxin produced in the tick’s salivary gland is the reason for this disease. Despite treatment, approximately 5% of animals affected by ticks will die.
Almost all patients that we see for tick paralysis are either not on any form of tick prevention, or have their tick control given incorrectly. Furthermore, areas that previously seemed unaffected by ticks have become populated by possums and bandicoots, so are no longer safe.
Being aware of the preventatives, it is really important to know the signs of tick poisoning and what to do if your pet has a tick. It is part of ensuring that your pet is safe from the deadly Australian paralysis tick.
To prevent Tick Paralysis, here is an infographic that will surely help you.